Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Application process cont. and acceptance

     As promised I'm using this second post to finish up talking about the application process I had to go through for study abroad.  Hang in though, once I finish up explaining how to get yourself ready to study abroad I'm going to begin talking about what I am currently doing to get ready to head off to Cairo.
Application Process:  Alright, once you've picked out what university you want to study at with your advisor, its time to fill out applications.  First and foremost you need to fill out the general study abroad application for UT.  The application only requires some general information and once its submitted your SAO advisor will be able to clear you to study abroad. You'll need to pay a $50 application fee right after you fill out the application though or else it will be erased (also, this is just the beginning of the fees that you will encounter).  When you've finished up this application its time to work on the the application for the school you want to go to.
     Since I've only applied for AUC (The American University in Cairo) I'll tell you about what it was like to fill out theirs.  To be able to apply I had to have at least 30 credit hours completed and a GPA of 3.0 or more. This info along with the application requirements were made readily available to me on AUC's website. AUC also has an online application that I was able to fill out without having to worry about sending it in though the mail.  Normally there will be a fee for the application of around $50 dollars depending on where you apply.  Since I did mine online though I was allowed to forgo the fee.  Alongside the appliation and essays I also had to include proof of my passport, photos for a student ID, a list of 8-10 courses I was planning on taking at AUC,  two confidential letters of recommendation, and an official transcript.  Here's a tip; if you don't know what professors would be best for a letter of recommendation you can always ask Stacey Amorous or Dr. Carver to write one for you.  Also, if you feel like the professor you want to fill out a rec won't write a very positive one for you, don't even bother asking.  The people who sift though the applications will be looking closely at not only you're essays but those letters as well when deciding whether or not you'll be a worthwhile student to have at their university.  Once more, get all of this done asap.  The earlier it's finished the less stressed out you'll be about it.
     Once everything's in for your study abroad application just sit back and relax.  Being in UT is most likely enough to get you into a good foreign university, but most of you are in LAH which means that those reading you're application will know that you're an excellent and qualified student.
     Acceptance:  The feeling that you get when you find out you've been accepted into the university of your choice is just as good as it was the first time you were accepted into UT or freshman LAH.  At least it was for me.  When I got my LAH letter of acceptance I was in an airport with my grandmother on my way back to Houston.  I'm pretty sure I scared a lot of haggard travelers when I jumped ecstatically up and down in the terminal.  I found out I got accepted into AUC just a few days after the deadline for the application and nearly dropped my phone hopping around in the Dobie mall parking lot. Next however, comes plenty of planning and even more things to read through and fill out.  UT will make you attend a MANDATORY meeting set for early November to help you familiarize yourself with the region you will be traveling to. Check the website after acceptance to see what day your meeting is on.  There are also physical exam forms, extremely lengthy powerpoints complete with quizzes over the info in them, international insurance, and proof of tickets that you will have to provide.  Suffice to say, it's plenty of work, and to top it off its all do by December 1st.  My advice is to take a weekend to sit down and fill out the forms, buy the insurance, and purchase the tickets.  The physical can be done at UT but make sure to get an appointment early on.  A few days before December first ALL of the appointments for physicals are most likely going to be taken and you'll have to find a clinic or doctor elsewhere to do it for you.  Once you've completed all of the mandatory forms and meetings try to meet with your advisor so that you can get an idea of the types of clothes to bring, what foods to eat, where to live, etc.
     Normally the university you will be studying at will require you to confirm your attendance by a certain date.  Once you've completed your confirmation the university can send you information on picking out classes, placement tests you might have to take, etc.  Check your university's website or call/email the international students office to get information on what else you will need to bring with you and what forms you need to fill out before you leave.  For AUC I needed to get a physical (remember you can kill two birds with one stone by bringing both UT's for and your univeristy's form to the first physical) and I needed to take a few test for medical conditions.  Beyond that you will need to get a visa to travel to your country.  I will be able to get a visa at the airport for Egypt, but once in the country I will need to attain a student visa.  Your university will be able to help you out with this process.
     One more piece of advice; enjoy your break.  Be it winter or summer break make sure that you spend time with family and friends ( or at least the ones you like) because you're going to miss them when you're abroad.
     Okay, now that we're finished talking about the process of applying and acceptance I promise that the next post will be more interesting if not less educational. It's January first and I'm already packing...just a little while longer until the real adventure begins.


(I know that ending was cheesy, just go with it)

 ma3 's-salaam and hope you're having a wonderful break!
Laura





No comments:

Post a Comment