Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Continuing Protests and Blocked Websites.

So it turns out that I can use google and blogger here at the school, but so far not at my dorms and Cairo.  Facebook and twitter seem to be cut off on campus.  I will, update here but unfortunately I can't include any pictures in this blog since I don't have my memory card adapter.

The rumors that leaving the dorm past ten would get you arrested thankfully aren't true, but all of the weekend trips to historical sites and horse rides along the pyramids are postponed until further notice. So far there have not been any protests within close proximity to the Zamalek dorms meaning that dinner and other necessities are still accessible for the students there.

People are still protesting in Tahrir Square and other areas around Cairo including one of the professors here at AUC that gave us a lecture yesterday about recent history and the current situation.  By defying the crackdown and coming out in the hundreds despite the threats of police brutality and arrest Egyptians are sending a clear message to Mubarak that they will not stop until there is change or they are dead.  In the mere five days that I have been here I have gained a tremendous respect for the resilient and for the most part forceful but non-violent Egyptian people.

The government has tried to break up communications to end the demonstrations by cutting off phone service in specific areas and for many individuals and by blocking internet social media sites like twitter, facebook, youtube and for some reason google.  In America, such action by the government is unthinkable, but in a police state whose despotic leadership holds security above the people's rights it is just another barrier to overcome.  Egyptians have somehow found a way to communicate despite this, and are continuing to demostrate.

Although there undoubtedly are smaller protests happening in Egypt as I write this, I have heard that another large one is scheduled to take place tomorrow.  It isn't my place to in any way take part in this protest, but my support is with the people.

 The rest of Cairo seems to be going about with business as usual; not much can stop the daily grind here.  People still need to earn a living.  However an uneasy calm prevails at times.  Last night in the dorms Egyptian students and international students alike gathered around the television in the commons area to watch footage of the protests on television.  most of the Egyptian men were chain smoking and everyone, if they spoke at all, had only small broken conversations with each other.

I'm not sure what the next few days hold, but the fact that these protests are a lot larger than expected and have lasted longer than anyone would have guessed means that I am here to witness one of the most interesting moments in Egyptian history that I may ever be present on this earth for.  All I can say is thank God.













1 comment:

  1. Interesting and Dangerous. Please be careful!

    Strangely, I was just talking to someone yesterday about how the increase in communication via cell phones and the internet is affecting governments.

    ReplyDelete