Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bank accounts, Clubs, and Haircuts

Hello everyone!


There were a few interesting things that have happened in the past few days.  For one I decided to open a separate account for my scholarship money. Instead of attempting to figure out travelers checks or moneygrams I've decided to take advantage of the atms on campus in New Cairo and the ones in downtown Cairo (fingers crossed that the withdraw charges won't be too outrageous).  Since the money from the scholarship will mostly be used to cover cost of living expenses I'm thinking that taking out a monthly allowance for food and a few souvenirs alongside writing checks for my dorm payments will keep my spending down. As stuck-up and spoiled as it sounds I've never actually had to worry about keeping track of living expenses during my college experience.  Already studying abroad seems to be providing me with plently of learning, and possibly screwing up, opportunities.  Fiscal responsibility here I come!

On the lighter side I took a look at the orientation handbook for AUC today and found a list of clubs and student organizations.  Unfortunately there doesn't seems to be any club involving sailing. However there are some pretty interesting looking special interest organizations like "Writers for a third-world nation" and a music group that I'm hoping will be down the same alley as the Middle Eastern Music Ensemble Bereket was at UT.

Here's a clip of the ensemble's performance last November. If you look at the screen during the beginning of the song you can see me playing the cello. :)



On a less relevant note I recently got my hair cut.. First of all it was getting too long and second of all the bottom half was blonde and the top was my natural brown (I had died it a year back and despite trying to dye it back to brown multiple times the color always faded back).  Some of it is still blonde but it feels a heck of a lot lighter and ready for Egyptian weather.




That's about it for now. 14 days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment